Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1

Today is the first day of December. a month of love, faith, and life. But it doesn't feel like it. It feels the same, the same as any other night when i wake up with a cold nose to utter blackness. the knowledge of a Christmas tree sparkling quietly upstairs no longer invokes them magic it did when i was small. What does it matter anyway? there is no Santa Clause. I will probably have to stay up and be "elf" this year too. Christ was born sometime in spring or summer, not snowy freeze your feet off December. Midwinter Solstice is only celebrated by Pagans and Wiccans. Hanukkah is for Jews.  i don't believe in Boxing day, and i don't know what Kwanzaa is anyway.  See? pointless. But i don't want it to be that way. I used to love December. It was a time to be home, no school, playing in the snow, hot chocolaty evenings, laughter, and family. so, tonight i'm making a goal. a goal to enjoy this season of rebirth and balance. how am i going to do it? i don't know. But i'll be darned if i let this last opportunity to be home during this season pass me by. and who knows? maybe I'll make some sunshine cookies on the 22. its never to late to start a new tradition, and I've always enjoyed the thought of winter solstice. so why not celebrate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment