I was hurt- tired
bruised from trying and failing
then trying and failing some more
being rejected.
worthless and useless
broken battered and sore.
..He stopped in his busy life
looked deep into my eyes
and asked the usual
"How are you?"
on the tip of my tongue
sat our regular word
Fine.
But I saw his eyes
before mine could follow
their usual habit and dart swiftly away
I was caught in his concern
...and
"I'm alive." toppled out
"Is that the best that can be said?"
I paused for a moment in my misery
scenes of rejection playing in my head.
He must have seen the tiny screen
from his vantage point peering into a window
that was not usually left open,
for he said nothing.
just let the movie play.
"...yes..."
then quietly,
"...but that is not such a bad thing...
as long as I can say that
...there is hope."
He nodded.
"There is that....
I'm glad there is that."
No comments:
Post a Comment